Szily Palace

The Szily Palace in Biatorbágy was mentioned in sources as a medieval building.

According to architectural history documents the estate was owned by the Fekete family at the beginning of the 1600s. The central section of the U-shaped building of today’s palace was built at this time, and further expansions began when the Farkas family moved to Bia with seven children. József Szily, who married into the family, decided to convert the U-shaped mansion into a small palace. Architectural demands were represented by the porch with arched pillars built on nine columns.

Later, by virtue of the marriage of József Szily’s daughter Karolina, the estate came into the hands of the Fáy family, and it was purchased by Móric Sándor in 1852. He operated it as the center of the Bajna/Bia manor. Count Sándor’s daughter, Duchess Sándor-Metternich, later took control of the estate.

The Baroque building which has U-shaped side wings designed as ornamental courtyards facing south on the sloping terrain was converted into an agricultural school in 1954, external appendages were added to the old sections. It is currently owned by Biatorbágy Local Government. The building has been out of service since August 2001. In 2005 the local government compiled a detailed study to research the architectural history of the palace and explore possibilities for use. Using the study, renovation of the palace will begin shortly, which may help turn Biatorbágy into a tourist attraction.


SZILY PALACE

Biatorbágy, Szentháromság tér 6.

GPS: 47.465989,18.807075



  • 2051 Biatorbágy, Szentháromság tér 6.

Category:

Similar results

Splény-Várady Palace

2071 Páty, Rákóczi utca 37

The palace was built in 1825 based on the designs of the owner’s wife, Mária Splényné Szily.

More

Water Tower

2053 Herceghalom, Hrsz: 242.

A defining industrial relic for the appearance of the settlement of Herceghalom is the water tower constructed in 1952.

More

Viaduct

2051 Biatorbágy, Szabadság út

The Biatorbágy viaduct spans the valley of the Füzes (“Willow”) stream on the boundary of Biatorbágy.

More

Torbágy Holy Trinity Statue

2051 Biatorbágy, Dózsa György út 4.

The first mention of the stone Holy Trinity Statue was made for the church visit of 1778, stating that the statue stands in the...

More

2072 Zsámbék, 
Akadémia utca 3. (Tourinform Zsámbék iroda) • +36 30 649 8899 • info@zsambekinfo.hu