Viaduct

The Biatorbágy viaduct spans the valley of the Füzes (“Willow”) stream on the boundary of Biatorbágy.

The originally single-track viaduct was built in 1883-84 as part of the Budapest Kelenföld-Újszőny (Komárom) railway line; the load-bearing capacity had to be reinforced in 1903.

The viaduct is a relic of the finest era of Hungarian railway history and offers a great spectacle. Nevertheless, it acquired a nationwide reputation at the time of the bomb attack perpetrated in 1931. Fortunately, the damage was only slight at the time and the viaduct was handed over for traffic again on 3 October 1931.

The railway track was corrected in 1977 and so the viaduct was discontinued. After 1979 the structure began to deteriorate rapidly and the idea of demolition emerged. Fortunately, funds were acquired for renovation, it was declared a listed monument and corrosion protection was carried out on the iron structure. The green-painted bridge is still one of the sights of Biatorbágy today.



VIADUCT

Biatorbágy, Szabadság út

GPS: 47.471754,18.832369

(monument)



  • 2051 Biatorbágy, Szabadság út

Category:

Similar results

Cemetery Chapel

2093 Budajenő, Kápolna utca

Budajenő’s cemetery chapel dates back to the Arpad era; it was built on the ruins of the 12th century church, presumably at the...

More

St. Wendelin Folklore House With Relief

2072 Zsámbék, Bicskei utca 13.

The once richest livestock farmer in the region built one of the oldest houses in Zsámbék, the St. Wendelin building with...

More

Chapel

2053 Herceghalom, Hrsz: 220/2.

The cemetery chapel was completed in 1904, the local cemetery was converted into a mortuary for this purpose.

More

Stone cross

2089 Telki, Fő utca 33.

The oldest monument in Telki, the Baroque stone cross, is located on the Main Street (Fő utca) near the Barn/ Village House...

More

2072 Zsámbék, 
Akadémia utca 3. (Tourinform Zsámbék iroda) • +36 30 649 8899 • info@zsambekinfo.hu