The Sándor-Metternich palace was built on the orders of Vince Sándor in 1823, using building parts of the former courtyard.
After the death of the elderly count his son Móric Sándor, known as the devil rider, inherited the estate. The count branch on the male side of the aristocratic Sándor family died with him in 1978. However, by virtue of his marriage to Leontine Adelheid Maria Pauline von Metternich, the family’s destiny was linked to the Metternichs. Starting from 1897 they used a unified coat of arms with royal permission.
The Bia palace was inhabited by the Sándor family on occasion; business and administrative offices were primarily housed here, for example the Sándor family archives were kept here for a long time.
One special feature of the freestanding, ground floor palace built in Classicist style, but also showing traces of the empire style is that wings are connected to the main building in both directions, thereby enclosing one courtyard on each side.
The facade of the main building carries Classicist signs, with a 2+3+2 division, a triangular tympanum portico (foyer) rests on the four ionic columns in the central part.
After the war a producers cooperative operated in the palace, and a primary school later moved into the building.
SÁNDOR-METTERNICH PALACE
Biatorbágy, Szentháromság tér 4.
GPS: 47.465906,18.807185
St. John of Nepomuk statue was erected around 1750 Imre Plájes. It moved to its present location on the occasion of the...
MoreThe work presented in the form of stages in the life of the most well-known Hungarian saint around the world, St. Elizabeth from...
MoreThe hill fort of the knight Aynard stood on the site of Zichy Palace in the 12th century and the stone castle was constructed at...
MoreThe history of the Holy Trinity Column, located today in the middle of the roundabout, dates back to the Baroque era in the...
More